We all want to feel well – vital, energised, glowing, alive – you know, we want to get our sparkle on! But sometimes it is not so easy to achieve. We are busy, and so often, looking after ourselves is the last thing we focus on. But if we are…
10 things to do if you’re feeling blue
Let’s face it, we all get a bit down sometimes. For some people it’s seasonal and they can’t seem to shake that sad feeling when it’s cold and dreary outside. For others, it can just hit them out of the blue, for no reason at all. I know what it’s like, I am not immune from it either.
Rather than trying to ignore the feeling, repress it, or distract yourself from it with shopping, drinking or bingeing on cupcakes (yes, guilty), here are some self loving, kind and nurturing options that may help you beat the blues and not have a side serving of guilt and self loathing along with it.
1. Find some sunshine – go sit in the sun for ten minutes and soak up some rays.
2. Do some yoga – some of my favourites for a mood lift are legs up the wall, downward dog, extended childs pose and good old standing forward bend. Throw in a backbend and you are all set.
3. Infuse or massage in some mood enhancing aromatherapy oils like wild orange, frankincense, sandalwood, lemon, bergamot, and trusty lavender.
4. Nothing quite like a soak in a bubble bath to make you feel warm and fuzzy, maybe with a favourite dvd or relaxing music playing to keep you company.
5. A nice cup of tea, or your favourite coffee, savoured.
6. Curl up with your latest magazine or a good book.
7. Do some gardening if that is your thing. Get your hands stuck in the dirt and connect with the earth.
8. Go for a walk on the beach, or in the country. Hug a tree, put your feet in the salty water, breath in the fresh air.
9. Have a meditation break. Even 5 minutes can make a profound difference.
10. If all else fails, take a nap. Sometimes it really is the best option.
Or you could phone a friend, browse the markets or antique store, make a smoothie or watch your favourite tv show. The point is, having a little rescue kit (as I talk about in my book) for moments when you don’t quite feel yourself, is a key part of really looking after and nurturing your self.
Now, I have had my smoothie and am off to lather myself in wild orange and sandalwood oils and head to yoga class. And then, I will come home, take a bath, light a candle and watch a new episode of my fav show direct from the US. Happy sigh. Sounds like a plan!
Stay well and make yourself happy.
P.S. If you were hoping to book a strategy or coaching session with me before the end of the year, I have just a few spots left. Drop an email to [email protected] if you would like more information. I’d love to help you get what you want, and set yourself up for a great new year (can’t believe we are saying that already!).