Have you ever wondered what it takes to run a hugely successful business or wanted to know how to take an entrepreneurial dream and turn it into reality? Well you’re in for a treat because in my new podcast interview, my super amazing girlfriend Lisa Messenger gives us the lowdown…
5 Steps to Creating What You (Really) Want
If you have poked around this site, you will know that my book is called Getting Real About Having It All. And if you have read the first chapter (it’s free, check it out) you will know that my focus is very much on the getting real part, not so much the having it all bit. I truly believe it is time we stopped listening to everyone else’s view of what our lives should look like, and started really thinking about what we want for ourselves, and how we can create that in a self loving and sustainable way. This is the discussion I would love us to have in this community. Practically every woman I meet is struggling with this, and longing to have a career that fulfills her, as well as a life that works and that she can live well. If this is you, keep reading!
So where to start? Here are 5 steps you can take to get real, see where you are really at, and make a plan to create what you want.
1. What do you really want? If you were to get real with yourself, what do you want for your life? Think about these questions: What do you want your life to look like, what type of work does your soul long for, what does your ideal day look like, how do you want your relationships to be, how much money do you need? The list goes on, but you get the drift. Thinking about these questions, and giving yourself the space and permission to answer them, is an important first step in creating the life you truly want to live, instead of just going through the motions in your days.
2. Take an honest look. So you have looked at what you really want (makes me think of the Spice Girls….tell me what you want what you really really want, love that song). Where are you at with creating this? Clear some time in your day, find a quiet space, pour a cup of tea and think about your work, your relationships, your health and wellbeing, your financial situation, your passion pursuits, your spiritual life and other areas of your life. Where are you currently at, and where do you want to be? This is key, as until we are clear on this, we cannot create it in our lives.
3. How do you want to feel? How often do you think about this? Rarely I would guess. We are so busy in the doing, and God knows there is plenty to do, that we don’t often take the time to look at how we want to feel. If you want to feel peaceful and calm throughout your day, but you work in a stress filled, toxic environment, then you need to get real about how possible that is for you, how much energy it will take and whether there is a better way. If you want to express your creativity and feel inspired, how are you creating space for that in your life? If you want to feel more love in your life, or more playful, or more energised, what are you doing to create that? Coming back to how we truly feel and getting connected to that, is one of the truest ways to get in touch with what we really want, know whether it’s working or not, and make some choices for ourselves that move us toward the life we want to live.
4. Make some choices You may now have a pretty clear view of where you are at and how close or distant it is from where you want to be. You also have a sense of how you want to feel going through your days. If the gap is wider than the widest ocean, don’t panic. Awareness is the first step of making any change, and it takes courage to get real about what your life looks like. Where you see some gaps, choose one area, and make some small choices that can move you closer to where you want to be. If you need more space in your life, think about how you can make some different choices in your day to carve out some time for you. It could be a choice to not watch that TV program tonight and having a bubble bath instead. It may be getting up ten minutes earlier tomorrow to meditate so you can start your day fresh and balanced. It could be a decision to leave that toxic workplace or start some study to edge you toward a new career. You can make these choices when you have the awareness of what you want to create in your life.
5. Own your life So many people are just on that endless treadmill, too scared to look left or right for fear of falling off. I was like this for a long time. It is an act of courage to get real with yourself, take an honest look at your life, and make some decisions to make it want you want it to be. You can create it when you make the decision, commit to own your choices, and empower yourself to make it happen. Start small, and watch the changes snowball. Before you know it, you are on your way to building a career and life that you love and that you can live well. And you have created it for yourself.
Take action now. We know that information without action is pretty useless. So right now, share your thoughts and actions in the comments below. What will you commit to do? We are building a community of fabulous women who want to support each other, so get active. We look forward to hearing from you!
You’ve Got This.
Until next time,
Want more? Head on over and read the first chapter of my book – it’s free. It’s not on sale until 1 November, so get your sneak peak now!
If you found this content useful please share the love by hitting the buttons below and sharing it with your posse. They will love you for it!