WLW 001: Lisa Messenger on Being Daring & Disruptive
Have you ever wondered what it takes to run a hugely successful business or wanted to know how to take an entrepreneurial dream and turn it into reality? Well you’re in for a treat because in this week’s episode, my super amazing girlfriend Lisa Messenger gives us the lowdown on exactly how she took an idea and turned it into a global brand. She also shares the daily practices she uses to keep her energy levels high so that she can thrive both professionally and personally.
Lisa Messenger is the founder and editor-in-chief of The Collective. She began her career in sponsorship and events, brokering international deals for the likes of the Wiggles, Barry Humphries and Cirque Du Soleil before starting her own publishing company, which has produced more than 400 books.
In 2013, with a strong sense of purpose and her entrepreneurial spirit firing, Lisa decided to defy the odds and launch a print magazine at a time when the industry was ‘dying’. Under Lisa’s visionary leadership, The Collective has grown rapidly into a multi-media brand, available in 37 countries and growing fast. And as if this wasn’t enough, somewhere amidst building companies and launching a wildly successful magazine, Lisa has managed to author and co-author 17 books.
In Part 1 of my conversation with Lisa, things get intimate and Lisa opens up about the beliefs and practices, both from a personal and business perspective, that have led her to where she is today. We chat about:
- The key role that spirituality plays in her life and in her business
- The importance of knowing your why
- Why Lisa was prepared to put it all on the line for The Collective
- Why finding ways to systematize is imperative for businesses and entrepreneurs
- The driving force behind the Collective – it’s all about the people
- The daily rituals and self-care practices that give Lisa the energy she needs to run a global business
- The trip that Lisa describes as “the single most extraordinary experience of my life to date”
And you’ll also get a behind-the-scenes look into Lisa’s best-selling book Daring & Disruptive.
Here are 3 key takeaways from my conversation with Lisa:
- When you’re clear about your purpose and what you want to do in the world, absolutely anything is possible.
- We need to tune into our bodies and listen to our innate wisdom – it’s about knowing when to take time out and prioritizing our wellbeing.
- There is an undeniable link between personal growth and business growth. If we do the inner work required, we can develop the courage and self-belief to take our businesses to the next level.
You’ll want to stay tuned until the end of the episode to hear the hilarious story of how Lisa broke her toe – spoiler alert – it involves a snake, a toilet and Richard Branson!
If you liked this episode, I would love it if you could give me 2 mins of your time and head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. It really helps to get the word out so that more women will know about the show and have access to these inspiring interviews. I’d love it if you could join me in really changing the conversation by spreading this work. Thank you for being part of this community.
Share this podcast