WLW 017 Mia Freedman on Work Strife Balance
In today’s digital world, where social media makes it possible to constantly compare yourself to others, Mia Freedman is a breath of fresh air. Unlike many figures in the public eye, Mia openly shares the real moments of her life with us, not just the highlight reel, and she is a strong and refreshing voice with a mission is to make the world a better place for women and girls.
For anyone who doesn’t know Mia, she is a writer, broadcaster, author, former editor of Cosmopolitan magazine, podcast host, and digital empire builder. Mia is the co-founder and creative director of the Mamamia Women’s Network, Australia’s largest women’s digital media company with 5 global offices and a monthly audience of millions. Mia hosts 2 podcasts, makes regular appearances on TV and radio and is the author of 3 books. She is married to the co-founder of Mamamia and together they have 3 children and live in Sydney.
In this incredible conversation, Mia and I chat about her latest book Work Strife Balance and some really juicy topics including:
- The role social media plays in driving unhealthy comparison
- What Mia means by the patriarchal bargain and getting clear on what feminism is and isn’t
- One of Mia’s secrets to happiness – hint: it’s all about your expectations
- Mia’s biggest career mistake and what she learnt from it
- Why Mia thinks that work life balance is bullsh*t
- Mia’s take on leadership and why she considers management one of her weaknesses
Here are 3 key takeaways from my conversation with Mia:
- We need more real stories on social media which means narrowing the gap between the life you put out on social media and the life you’re actually living
- The biggest failure of Mia’s career and her tips for how you can avoid a similar mistake
- The truth about work life balance and why women need to stop expending emotional energy worrying that they’re doing life wrong
And just a heads up that this episode features some adult language, so you may want to make sure there are no little ones listening in – or pop in your headphones.
Mamamia Women’s Network: http://www.mamamia.com.au/
Book: Work Strife Balance
Share this podcast