WLW 006: Michelle McQuaid on Using your Strengths to Shine
Have you ever wondered why sometimes you can breeze through a task, where everything just flows and you don’t even notice time passing, while other times even something simple can feel like a struggle and everything seems to drag?
What if there was a way of attracting more of that flow and less of the struggle into your life? A way to fast-track results in your career and in your life, that is actually enjoyable and sustainable?
Sounds too good to be true, right?
Well in today’s episode with Michelle McQuaid, that’s exactly what we’re talking about as we delve deep into the world of strengths.
Michelle McQuaid is a best-selling author, a workplace wellbeing teacher and a playful change activator. Michelle has a Masters degree in Applied Positive Psychology and she is currently doing her PHD in appreciative enquiry. With more than a decade of senior leadership experience in large organisations all around the world, Michelle is passionate about translating cutting edge research from positive psychology and neuroscience into real strategies for health, happiness, and business success.
Her latest book, Your Strengths Blueprint, is full of practical tools that you can use straight away to improve your results in every area of your life. Michelle is one of the world’s leading experts on strengths, and is someone I am lucky to call my business partner and fabulous friend.
This conversation with Michelle is jam-packed with powerful information and practical tips that you can start putting into action today including:
- How to identify your strengths and why it’s important to do so
- Simple ways to integrate your strengths into your work and your life
- The difference between extrinsic motivation and intrinsic motivation and learning what makes you tick
- The ways we underplay and overplay our strengths and the secret to finding our ideal strengths sweet spot
- How to manage the shadow side of our strengths
- Envisioning a strengths-fuelled future and creating a ‘hope map’ to get us there
- The huge list of personal and professional benefits that we can gain by using our strengths
Here are 3 key takeaways from my conversation with Michelle that you will get in this episode:
- Once we have identified and named our strengths, where do we go from there?
- The key to unlocking numerous benefits is all about finding that sweet spot where we have the “right strength, in the right amount, in the right situation for the right outcome”.
- Why being ‘too busy’ to use your strengths at work isn’t a good excuse and why we should actually bother to make the time
So if you’re ready to feel happier, healthier, more energised, more engaged and more successful in your work (and my guess is that you are), then make sure you listen in to this episode and share it with someone who you think might be struggling and could really benefit from getting clear on their strengths.
If you liked this episode, I would love it if you could give me 2 mins of your time and head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. It really helps to get the word out so that more women will know about the show and have access to these inspiring interviews. I’d love it if you could join me in really changing the conversation by spreading this work. Thank you for being part of this community.
Tools mentioned in this podcast:
VIA Strengths Survey – http://www.viacharacter.org
Gallup Strengths Finder – https://www.gallupstrengthscenter.com
Michelle’s Strengths eBook – http://www.michellemcquaid.com/
Find Our Guest:
Share this podcast